Sunday, October 2, 2011

present minded

God has been speaking to me so much lately...especially when I think about all that has changed since I last blogged in April. Life is EXCITING! I'm in a new season with my job, our youth ministry has moved to a new season in a new space (much awaited space), and really life has just been so unpredictable and interesting. God is really keeping me on my toes! I've enjoyed seeing His work in my life and in others' lives..especially my family. I am so grateful that He never lets go of us, even when we tend to stray. His love is amazing!

Lately I've been reading this devotional, Jesus Calling. It's a short daily reading that takes scripture from the Bible and puts it into Jesus' words...as though He is speaking directly to you. I've been so encouraged and reassured of His promises as I have read this devotional. One of the things that God has really been speaking to me about is being present in the moment. This is one of the excerpts from Jesus Calling..

"You need not fear the future, for I am already there. When you make that quantum leap into eternity, you will find Me awaiting you in heaven. Your future is in My hands; I release it to you day by day, moment by moment. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow. I want you to live this day abundantly, seeing all there is to see, doing all there is to do. Don't be distracted by future concerns. Leave them to Me! Each day of life is a glorious gift, but so few people know how to live within the confines of today. Much of their energy for abundant living spills over the time line into tomorrow's worries or past regrets. Their remaining energy is sufficient only for limping through the day, not living it to the full. I am training you to keep your focus on My Presence in the present. This is how to receive abundant life, which flows free from My throne of grace."

I love the underlined part! This has really spoken to me because I know that many times I carry the weight of the future on my shoulders in the present, especially with work. I carry this weight around in the evenings, hours after I have clocked out. I carry this weight around when I sit down with my husband for dinner and when we pick up a movie to watch. I carry the weight around all day, even on my day off when work is not on the agenda! My husband has been so good about keeping work stuff at work, but I've struggled with this in the past few months. It has become such a burden and stress in my life. While reading this devo, I realized that this is not the way that God wants me to live and this is NOT the abundant life that Jesus has promised. When we live in the future, we miss out on the present. I'm learning to be present in every area. When I'm at work, I'm present at work...not dwelling on things I need to do at home. When I'm at home, I'm present at home...not worrying about things that I need to do at work. When I'm at church, I'm focused on God...not over thinking and analyzing the task list I need to accomplish for my Sunday. It is so hard to be present, when we are living life in fast forward mode. I fear to see how many times I have missed the present blessing because I am concerned with the unknown future. And that's the thing...there is really no reason in fretting over the future because it is unknown. The only assurance we have is this very present moment.

My prayer lately has been: "God, help me live in this present moment. Give me your eyes to see what you see. Help me to place my burdens and worries on you so I can enjoy the abundant life you have promised. Thank you Jesus, amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment